May 26, 2007

Rat on 6th Avenue




Rat on 6th Avenue
Marie-Theresa Hernández
New York, 2005



The gray rat was sitting in front of the International Film Center (better known as IFC). There was a labor protest - about strike breakers (I suppose the rat was placed there represented their moral character).

The image of the rat became even more interesting after a national story came out about rats in a fast food place a few doors down - the place looked fine during the day, but when they closed, the rats came out and had a party. There were so many rats that national TV played the scene over and over for a few days.

The first few times I walked by he made me chuckle (although the situation about the strikers was not funny). But I guess constant exposure makes wild things mundane. After I walked by the IFC and the rat a few times, he no longer caught my attention.







© Photo and Text
Copyright 2007 by Marie-Theresa Hernández. All rights reserved.

No comments: